The explosive growth in data and increased complexity are some of the biggest challenges in storage management today. But the old ways of buying and managing storage no longer cut it. Resource constraints from physical storage resources to human resources make it even more vital for organizations to optimize and simplify their infrastructure. Unaddressed and unchecked, data growth will only become a bigger problem over time.
In addition, small and midsize organizations are suffering from a range of other challenges:
- Disruptive migrations
- Difficulty deploying tiered storage
- Inability to share storage among servers
- Reduced productivity and increased cost caused by isolated server and storage management tool
- Inability to use virtualized storage, like virtual servers, as a tool for optimizing expenditures, resources and capabilities
These challenges and the overarching need to increase storage efficiency has led many organizations to turn to consolidation, virtualization and automated tiering to reduce capital and operational expenses.
IBM® Storwize® V7000 Unified Storage is a virtualized storage system than can virtualize and reuse existing disk systems, offering a greater potential return on investment and providing unmatched performance, availability, advanced functions and highly scalable capacity never seen before in midrange disk systems.
IBM’s new offering combines hardware and software components to provide a single point of control to help support improved storage efficiency. By enabling virtualization, consolidation and tiering in business of all sizes, it’s designed to improve application availability and resource utilization. It also offers:
- Easy-to-use, efficient and cost-effective management capabilities for both new and existing storage resources
- Sophisticated enterprise-class storage function for businesses of all sizes
- An up to 200 percent performance improvement with automatic migration to high-performing SSDs
- Consolidated block and file storage in a single system for simplicity and greater efficiency
- Near continuous availability of applications through dynamic migration
- Faster and more efficient data copies for online backup, testing or data mining
- Easy-to-use GUI for block and file storage management and point-and-click system management capabilities
- The ability to replicate data synchronously or asynchronously between systems for backup efficiency
- SSD for applications that demand high speed and quick access to data
IBM Active Cloud Engine: automated, policy-based storage tiering
Of particular note, Storwize V7000 Unified builds on the high-performance design of the Storwize V7000 system and includes automated, policy-based storage tiering in the form of the IBM Active Cloud Engine™, designed to identify what types of files are stored, when they’re accessed and when they’re created. Active Cloud Engine pre-determined policies that can be used to move less frequently used data to lower cost tiers of storage or delete unwanted or expired data automatically.
IBM’s new Storwize V7000 Unified can be a big part of your highly efficient, highly capable, next-generation information infrastructure, whether your storage environment supports small or midsize organizations or a large, complex data center.
Contact your Softchoice representative to find out more.
Related post: It’s spring cleaning time for your data center.